Environmental Engineering Considerations and Laboratory Tests
MIL-STD-810 Testing is primarily used by the Department of Defense (DoD) for military applications, but is often tailored for commercial applications as well. The standard has three sections:
- Part One - describes management, engineering, and technical roles in the environmental design & test tailoring process.
- Part Two - contains environmental laboratory test methods to be applied according to the general and specific test tailoring guidelines described in Part One.
- Part Three - contains climatic data & guidance for consideration of climatic conditions in the research, development, test, and evaluation of material(s) used throughout their life cycles in various climatic regions throughout the world.
Source: MIL-STD-810G (OCT 2008) | Test Standard available here.
At Thermax, we are accredited to perform Method 514.6 (Vibration) and Method 516.6 (Shock) for both military/defense and commercial applications.
Method 514.6 - Vibration
Test Method 514.6 is recognized as the quintessential standard for vibration testing (all 94 pages). It covers general information such as tailoring guidance, test types, test processes, and analysis of results before presenting the details for the vibration exposure test profiles in Annex C, D, and E.
Annex C - Transportation
Annex C describes the Transportation test profiles, which are categorized as follows:
- Category 4 - Truck/Trailer/Tracked - Secured Cargo
- Category 5 - Truck/Trailer/Tracked - Loose Cargo
- Category 6 - Truck/Trailer/Tracked - Large Assembly Cargo
- Category 7 - Aircraft - Jet
- Category 8 - Aircraft - Propeller
- Category 9 - Aircraft - Helicopter
- Category 10 - Watercraft - Marine Vehicles
- Category 11 - Railroad - Train
Annex D - Operational Service
Annex D describes the Operation Service test profiles, which are categorized as follows:
- Category 12 - Fixed Wing Aircraft - Jet Aircraft
- Category 13 - Fixed Wing Propeller Aircraft
- Category 14 - Rotary Wing Aircraft - Helicopter
- Category 15 - Aircraft Stores - Assembled, Jet Aircraft, Captive flight, & Free flight
- Category 16 - Aircraft Stores - Material, Jet Aircraft
- Category 17 - Aircraft Stores - Assembled/Material, Propeller Aircraft
- Category 18 - Aircraft Stores - Assembled/Material, Helicopter
- Category 19 - Missiles - Tactical Missiles
- Category 20 - Ground Vehicles - Ground Mobile
- Category 21 - Watercraft - Marine Vehicles
- Category 22 - Engines - Turbine Engines
- Category 23 - Personnel - Material Carried on/by Personnel
Annex E - Supplemental Tests
Annex E describes the Supplemental test profiles, which are categorized as follows:
- Category 24 - Minimum Integrity Tests
- Category 25 - All Vehicles - Cantilevered External Material
Contact us today (513-767-2309) for assistance in meeting the requirements of your MIL-STD-810 Testing, or click here to complete a request for quote.